Friday 13 July 2012

Sixty Second Friday Flash: Fire Flood




Phoebe sat up and gasped for air. She looked around, it was all white, she was in the hospital. Nothing new there, but as her brain slowly caught up with her surroundings she noticed she was in a bed and not tending one.

A hand reached out and took her arm. Phoebe flinched away.

“Phoebe! You're awake.”

The face looked familiar. “You were being mugged, right?”

Tony scratched the back of his head. “Yes, that was me.”

“Why are you here?”

“I... you saved me... I had to at least come and say thank you.”

Phoebe laid back again. “Oh, that's nice. Come to laugh at me too?”

“No, why would I?”

“The costume... and this is St. Trinity... you promised.”

“I... the paramedics would have none of it, this was the closest place, they said any longer and you wouldn't have made it.” Tony fidgeted in his chair. “I tried at least, I said you were on the way to a superhero comic convention.”

“Oh, thank you, now they will think I'm a geek.”

“Something wrong with that?”

Some firemen went past her ward. There was a stretcher with a body bag.

“No... hey, what happened?”

“I don't know all the details, but they say the doctor, a Doctor Jones I think, burnt to death in his office. One of the nurses just escaped with her life. It's a miracle the sprinklers were able to prevent it spreading.”

“Deserved it...” muttered Phoebe.

“What was that?”

“Nothing, so are you going to sit around all day or are you going to get me some water?”

Tony fumbled and dashed away. Phoebe smiled, maybe he would make a good sidekick. How long had she been out? Had she sleepwalked and started the fire? Or had she somehow acquired the power to mentally project herself and start fires? Or maybe she was still in the coma and none of this was real?  

5 comments:

  1. It would seem my assumption was wrong last week, she managed to get away with crisping the Doctor, just as well really cos superheroes need employment too, saving victims doesn't pay the rent does it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like I'm in her head! Is she still dreaming? This is great stuff, Craig!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice timing. Everything seems to be turning up comic con this week. I wonder when she's going to reveal her true identity to Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who is this girl? That last line "Or maybe she was still in the coma and none of this was real? " was a great place to end, now we just have to have more to find out who she really is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice way to continue part 1 Craig! This piece leaves me in even more questions. You have to tell us more, don't be a tease! Great stuff here, very comic con indeed.

    Looking forward to the next part.

    ReplyDelete