Friday 3 September 2010

My First #FridayFlash - Just Desserts

Here's a little story I wrote a while back. This is my first Friday Flash.


Just Desserts
By Craig Smith

Alarm bells rang out in the distance, and Lord Myron's bloodhounds howled against the savage wind. Normally, I wouldn't have taken much notice of them as I worked for Lord Myron, but things had changed. They had changed very drastically. I had been caught stealing. But I had no choice, no other hope.

I could see my brother far-off in the distance… if I could just reach him, maybe, just maybe she would live. I clutched the engagement ring more tightly: holding in my hand the very life of my beloved.

I looked up and over my shoulder. For possessing only a bird brain the crow seemed to be quite intelligent. It danced there up in the sky. As if mocking me, daring me to try escape.

It was Gladys' fault. If only she hadn't spotted me taking it, I would have gotten away with ease. I was a trusted member of the household. I would never have been suspected, but nosy old Gladys had to ruin everything. Money for the ring was the only way I could pay for my wife's life or death operation. Gladys was meddling with my wife’s life. She would get her just desserts. I was sure of it!

A few paces from the rendezvous, I tripped over a tree root, crashing to the ground. The ring flew into the air. A black streak shot down and snatched it. The crow shrieked as it flew off with its prize, my wife's life, clutched tightly in its claws.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, crows do like shiny things! Your very first #fridayflash is a very good addition to the community.

    Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words Marisa and glad you liked it :).

    I look forward to knowing you and your work better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Love your flash fiction piece - particularly the pacy sentences at the end.

    ReplyDelete