Thursday 18 October 2007

Another Rejection (But a good one)

Got this rejection yesterday. Disappointed about it of course but I think it has to be about the best rejection letter I have gotten so far! Here's a link if you want to check out the magazine. I'm sure they're going to have some really great stories:

http://www.anathemamagazine.com/

Hi Craig,

Thanks very much for submitting your story "Werewolf Night" to the Anathema online anthology. I very much enjoyed reading it, I thought it was clever, and had some very funny moments. However, I felt that it didn't really tackle the Anathema theme as strongly as I would have liked, so I'm afraid I'm going to pass on it. But I wish you the best of luck in placing it elsewhere!

Thanks again,

Heidi :)

4 comments:

  1. Cheer up. My first book was rejected 30 times.

    I ended up publishing it myself. It sold about 75 copies.

    Guess the rejectors were right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    It seems I'm making a career our of being rejected, unintentionally. This person was nice to you. I've had some agents and publishers be as rude as one can without actually cursing me out. Still, I have my chin up and I'm still out there submitting. It's just possible I'll convince a publisher to print something I've written. That's why I keep trying to get published. As far as writing is concerned, I'll always write. Good Luck.

    ~Mike~ (Mr. Grudge)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack.

    Thanks for the comment. To be honest 75 copies is good for a self published book. I have to do a lot of the promoting for my book myself and I know how hard it can be to generate even one sale. What kind of book is it?

    Mike.

    Thanks for the comment. I know what you mean. It took me a lot of rejections before I got anything published. And have had some really bad rejections. Was mainly when I was starting out, when I didn't know what I was doing. I met this one writer on a forum and she offered to read one of pieces I had up on a critique group. And then she comes back and says that she wished she hadn't! Yet I had quite a few people saying that it wasn't too bad. Just shows you that a lot of it can do with taste! So you're right submit as much as you can when you can. But at the same time quality is better than quantity when it comes to stories. Have you ever tried writing short stories?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the life of a writer..I know how it feels to get a most sincere rejection letter. I can sympathize. Those nice rejection letter are still so much better than the form letters where they write you name in pen next to Dear Mr./Ms. Blank..:)

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete